Friday, August 24, 2012

Cooking for Two: Bacon, Tomato and Corn Pasta

Well, it has happened. Hubby and I are now "empty nesters" as our one and only went off to The University of Arizona. I worried a bit about cooking for two, as I'd heard many of my friends just "gave up" cooking when the kids left. But I LOVE cooking and enjoy providing hubby with a home-cooked meal.

After a few days of experimentation, I think I'm getting the knack of it. Some of it requires planning, and some of it requires math skills (eek!).

So, from time to time I'll share my recipes, tips and tweaks as I head down this new culinary path challenge.

Bacon, Tomato and Corn Pasta
(revised from The Chew's Michael Symon)

1/2 pound of pasta
salt for pasta water
1 T. EVOO
1/4 lb. thick-sliced bacon, diced
1 ear corn, cut from cob
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 bag baby spinach
1 t. mint, chopped
2 T. butter
parmesan cheese -- grate for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil. When at boil, salt liberally and add in pasta. Cook one minute less than box calls for.

In a large saute pan, heat the EVOO and cook the bacon until crisp over medium high heat. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper towel. Remove all but 1 T. grease from the pan. Add in garlic, tomatoes, and cook and saute for one minute. Add in spinach and cook another minute until wilted.

When pasta is done, drain, reserving one cup of the pasta water. Add pasta to saute pan. Add in mint and butter and 1/4 c. of pasta water. Continue to cook for one minute, adding in pasta water as needed to make a sauce but not make it soupy.

Garnish with parmesan, and cracked black pepper if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment