Saturday, October 29, 2011

Double Duty Dinners -- Roasted Chicken and Chicken Pot Pie


So, inspired by a book I just finished "Kitchen Counter Cooking School," http://kathleenflinn.com/2011/02/16/the-kitchen-counter-cooking-school/ I'm trying to plan meals where I can stretch the ingredients to a second meal later in the week.  I'm also trying to shave some time off the midweek meals, so this process works out perfectly.  This week, it was chicken.

Sunday -- I purchased two roasting chickens from my local farmers markets, and placed them on a bed of cut up carrots and onions in a roasting pan.  Did the standard olive oil/salt/pepper on top and roasted at 425 for about an hour. That evening, we had roast chicken, sauteed green beans (make extra for Wednesday) and homemade bread (recipe also in book) for dinner.

Wednesday -- I preheated my oven to 450, and got out one rolled-up refrigerated pie crust. I cut up the second chicken, along with the carrots from Sunday (you can use the onions, but I opted not to), and the extra green beans and placed them in a bowl.  In my trusty cast iron skillet, I made a chicken gravy by melting 2 T. butter, adding in 2 T. flour and cooking for a few moments, then adding in a can of chicken stock, whisking until thick.  I added a splash of half-n-half, a grate of nutmeg, and some S&P.  I then mixed in the contents of the bowl, topped with the pie crust, painted it with an egg wash and put it in the oven for 15 minutes to get golden and bubbly. I served it with a romaine salad with roasted beets, goat cheese, lemon juice and olive oil.

next Double Duty Dinner -- pot roast and beef mushroom pot pie

No comments:

Post a Comment