Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ideas for Your Harvest Table

Here in the Midwest, the weather is changing, the leaves are turning, and entertaining moves indoors.  Fall offers a bounty of table scape and hospitality ideas.  Here are a few for yDSC05642our consideration.  Enjoy!

Autumnal Table Settings:
I usually set out the good china for Thanksgiving dinner.  This year, I’ve decided to take a different approach.  I found inexpensive clear glass (dishwasher safe) plates at my local supermarket of all places for $2 each!  Then, I purchased some inexpensive silk leaves from my local craft store, and decorated them with a bit of glitter.  Lay them under the plate, on top of a charger and voila – you have a beautiful Fall table setting, with easy clean-up at the end of the meal!
DSC05646
Later, I found some inexpensive larger leaves for an even more dramatic variation on this theme.
DSC05718
For the centerpiece, I decorated artificial pumpkins with sprays of beads – using a variety of sizes, shapes and colors.  To make it more interesting, I used a clear glass cake plate to elevate the largest pumpkin and filled in with candlesticks to add still more height without creating an obstruction for dialogue across the table.  A strand of DSC05637feathers found at a local garden center fills in the gaps.
DSC05641

Bountiful Buffet
The trick to creating an interesting buffet is layering and variation.  It’s okay to mix natural and artificial elements – pumpkins and gourds from the produce section; sparkling leaves and fake pumpkins from the craft store.  Be sure to vary the height of different elements, as well, for more visual interest. 
I saw an interesting example in a recent magazine, where they had leveled off the top of a pumpkin and set their serving dish on top of it for interest and some height.  I decided to take it one DSC05731step further, and scoop the pumpkin out and carve slits in it with one of those inexpensive knives you find in pumpkin carving kits.  Then, I popped a candle inside to make it glow.  It was then that I realized I was creating the unexpected benefit of warming whatever plate of food I set on top of it!  What a bonus!
I then took some smaller gourds (at least that’s what I think they are) and carved out some space for a tealight candle.
DSC05739
Finally, I put everything together, again using a clear pedestal cake plate and a tall candlestick to add height, and I ended up with a lovely buffet! I
DSC05737

No comments:

Post a Comment