Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What’s In My Pantry? Oatmeal

Barb

I have two kinds of oatmeal in my pantry….quick oats (not instant) and steel cut.  Here’s how I use them.

Quick oats are great for an “almost instant” bowl of hearty oatmeal. Takes a bit longer than the instant “add water and microwave” kind, but has such better texture. I also use these for making homemade granola.  This couldn’t be easier – mix a few cups of oats, some nuts, some flaxseed, coat with a bit of concentrated orange juice (from the defrosted can of OJ), some brown sugar and cinnamon, put on a sprayed baking pan, and toss in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When cool, add some dried fruit and you have your own personalized granola. By the way, store brand quick oats are as good,  and cheaper, than the name brand.

Steel cut oats are a different thing entirely.  They take about 30 minutes to cook to a consistency where you can eat them.  Since that requires more planning in the morning than I have, I make a batch the night before. In a crock pot, I add one cup of steel cut oats, four cups of water, a little brown sugar, some cinnamon and some nutmeg. I give it a stir, put on the lid, and turn it on low. In the morning, we have wonderful oatmeal, and it makes enough for us to have “leftovers” the next morning that reheat beautifully in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment