Friday, August 26, 2011

A Different Spin on a Tomato Salad

This summer, I've enjoyed a new kind of tomato (at least it was new to me) called a Kumato.  It's a small tomato whose skin looks brown.  I've purchased them at my local grocery store and at Trader Joe's.  The flavor is tasty and it's fun to use something a little out of the ordinary.


I'm a bit tired of caprese salads (yes, they are yummy), so when company was coming, I made a different version with the Kumatoes.  First, I drizzled some balsamic glaze on a plate.  You can buy it in a bottle -- I've pictured mine here.  It's thick enough to hold a pattern, which makes it a fun way to add flavor and decorate the plate at the same time.  

Next, I laid three slices of the tomatoes on the plate, then garnished them with crumbled gorgonzola, diced red onion, crumbled pecans, and some chopped fresh avocado.  I topped it all off with one more small squiggle of the balsamic glaze. 


Voila!  It was beautiful to serve and delicious to eat!  (And pretty darn easy, too -- although it has the look of having taken a lot more trouble).   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment