Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What’s in My Pantry? Plain Yogurt

My new favorite pantry/fridge item is a big container of plain yogurt.  I’m finding all kinds of great uses for it and avoiding buying more expensive prepared sauces as a result.  Here are some of my latest successful concoctions:


Cole Slaw Dressing
The other day, was in the mood for cole slaw, but didn’t have any dressing on hand.  So, I whipped up my own version of plain yogurt, a bit of sugar to sweeten and some Hendrickson’s dressing (another pantry staple).  Voila, I had a delicious, creamy slaw dressing in just the quantity I needed, so no expensive left-over jar sitting in the fridge. 

Yogurt Sauce
Earlier this week, I concocted a yummy new chicken recipe (I’ll detail that below).  I wanted to have a sauce to drizzle over it, so I turned again to my trusty plain yogurt.  I mixed yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and some vidalia onion salad dressing I had in the fridge.  Then, I added a bit of sugar to sweeten to taste.  Next, I melted some cream cheese in a pot and then added the yogurt mixture.  It was a delicious creamy sauce! 

Sharon’s Chicken
I took skinless, boneless chicken breasts, dipped them in milk, and then dipped them in bread crumbs (in my case, Schar’s gluten free) to which I had added grated Parmesan, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings.  I laid them on a baking sheet I had sprayed with olive oil.  Next, I took cut up sun dried tomatoes into small pieces and sprinkled some on each chicken breast.  I then sprayed a bit of olive oil over the tops of each and placed the pan in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, I added a slice of Swiss cheese to each and cooked for another 10 minutes.  I served it over a bed of rice with the yogurt sauce.  It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment